Potato Kurma

This potato kurma with soya chunks goes great with rice or chapatis/nans.

Recipe:

3 to 4 potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
4 juicy tomatoes and 1 onion cut into small pieces
Half cup peas
1 tsp of ginger,garlic,cilantro paste,
2 tsp coconut powder (fresh or dried)
1 tsp each of red chilli powder, salt and turmeric
popu or tadka ingredients (read the preparation)

I also added protein rich soya chunks (the white round ones in the photo below) to this carbo rich curry.

Potato Kurma Ingredients

Add 1 tsp of oil to a hot pan, saute 1 tsp of each cumin, mustard seeds(popu or tadka), when they start to splutter, add garlic ginger cilantro paste, sauté it, and then add onions, tomatoes and peas.

First step Final step

Once the tomatoes are well cooked and juicy, add potatoes, soya chunks, salt, red chilli powder, coconut powder, turmeric and little bit of water. Cook them covered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, for about 10 to 15 mts, on medium flame.

Potato Kurma with Chapatis

Chapati and potato kurma, yum…. this is good eating. How many times I prepare and eat this curry, the taste never gets boring.

Posted by Indira©Copyrighted in Potato, Soy (Tofu, Yuba) (Thursday April 28, 2005 at 9:13 am- permalink)

81 comments for Potato Kurma »

1. hi indira, i tried this recipe today, it was good ..but i dint have coconut powder and soy chunks , i used mushroom instead. i have never bought coconut powder , can u suggest tips to buy it and its purpose’s .thanx

Comment by priya — September 29, 2005 @ 3:52 pm

2. Priya, your version sounds good too. You can buy unsweetened coconut powder or whole coconut in an Indian grocery shop.I use it in all types of curries(Dry or gravy)because it gives a sweet, nutty taste to the curries and also because of its nutritional values. Try it and let me know. Thanks.

Comment by Indira — September 30, 2005 @ 10:06 am

3. Hi Indira, I tried your recipe yesterday and it came out yummy! Thank you!

I did not have Soya chunks though, I used some hot peppers for a spicy tinge to the curry…

Indira says

Hello Ladyinred, I am glad it turned out good. The combination of potatoes and hot peppers, It must be spicy wonderful. I like your version!

Comment by Ladyinred — November 10, 2005 @ 1:54 pm

4. Hi Indira,

Im going to try this today. It sounds yummy. I was wondering if you know of any veg kurma recipes that are creamy - dont some recipes call for the addition of milk/yogurt or cream? Just curious of you knew of any.

Thanks

Indira says…
    Hi Radha, I rarely prepare milk/yogurt based creamy sauces. Only when I invite friends over or for parties. The milk avialble here is full of extra hormones and chemicals, so I use it sparingly or only when I am feeling extra indulgent. Thanks!

Comment by radha — December 17, 2005 @ 6:26 pm

5. hi,
    i tried this one.its very nice.

Indira replies…
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Comment by aru — January 30, 2006 @ 8:56 pm

6. can you use other nut powders, milk powder or coconut milk instead of using the coconut powder?

Indira replies:
    Nut powders, like cashew, almonds, pistachios… yes. But milk powder, I’m not sure about that so no.
    Nuts and coconuts already have enough fat content, so we don’t have to add extra ghee or butter to cook them in sugar syrup.

Comment by natasha — March 15, 2006 @ 11:43 pm

7. Hey indra,
    A newbie question-Just wanted to know which is more nutritious-dry coconut powder available in indian grocery stores or fresh coconut that I grate.
    Can i substitute fresh coconut in most of your recipies and still be ok?thanks,

Indira replies:
    I prefer fresh grated coconut. Even with less amount, it brings not only more flavor also I think more nutritious than the dried one.

Comment by divya — March 17, 2006 @ 7:31 pm

8. hi there! I’m throughly impressed with your site and have kept it on mu favorites. The best tthig is the way you have showed your lovely kitties pictures. Keep up the good work and will recommed your site to all i know here in Dubai. All the best!!!!

Comment by zaina ahmed — June 20, 2006 @ 3:17 am

9. hi indra,

i would like to personally thank you for this wonderful website which you had infact gifted to women like us who are new to cooking. By your website now i have become fully confident that even i can cook well.

I wish you would help us out with lot many new recipes.Thank you once again.

Regards
    Raji

Comment by rajyalakshmi nanduri — August 13, 2006 @ 7:13 pm

10. hi indra…
    u hav got an awesome website..
    kudos to u on that..

i am gonna try out ur recipes as often as I can..

i have one favor to ask..
    can you try to include recipes of other cuisines as well..

i hav always been curious how to cook authentic chinese noodles…or lasagne..

vj.

Comment by vijay — August 24, 2006 @ 4:01 pm

11. hi Indira,
    May i know for how many people this potato kurma dish can be served

Comment by vidya — August 27, 2006 @ 3:20 pm

12. Hi Indirakka,
    can you plz let me know who is the photographer, you or Vijay? These photos are really nice. :)
    Feel jealous the way you cook so many items, day in and day out?

Comment by Viru — January 19, 2007 @ 7:20 pm

13. Hi Indira,
    Yours are the best recipes I have ever come across. Pictures are excellent and very colorful. They make me try out the recipe. I have already tried various recipes of yours.

Thanks for your your work.

Comment by Veena — February 12, 2007 @ 4:58 am

14. Hi Indira,

Kurma was very delicious. We both loved it. Would be trying it out very frequently. Thanks for recipe.

Comment by Aruna Nayak — June 20, 2007 @ 11:53 am

15. If you add lil bit of unsalted butter,a spoon or more of plain yogurt, makes it even more delicious….

Comment by Pulaski — July 26, 2007 @ 9:38 am

16. koththimeera koodaa vestey.finishing touchi lo..Yeha…sooferuntundi….

Comment by Pulaski — July 26, 2007 @ 9:44 am

17. Thanx

Comment by lathabasappa — August 8, 2007 @ 2:38 am

18. hi indira!

nice to see such a lovely recipe of kurma. i liked that. thanx

Comment by swati — August 15, 2007 @ 10:36 am

19. Hi Indira,

I tried ur receipe for the first time, it really came out well…Thanks so much for the receipe….

Thanks
    Saravanan

Comment by Saravanan — August 19, 2007 @ 8:09 pm

20. Hi Indira,

I learned so many recepies from your website. I love the simple recepies you list. Keep your work going on..

Comment by Karuna — September 11, 2007 @ 3:33 pm

21. hi indira,

I tried this recepie just now, its very tasty. For a long time i didn’t made veggie kurma coz it wont come well. But ur recepie is really good.

Comment by padma — September 16, 2007 @ 3:09 pm

22. Hi Indira,
    Kurma looks yummy and mouthwatering. Nice recipe.

Comment by sri — November 18, 2007 @ 8:53 pm

23. Hi Indira,
    I feel very glade to see this kurma with soya chunks. I will try this today. I read the comments here, you wrote that,the milk available here is full of extra harmones and chemicals. May i know it clearly. Is there any problem if the milk usage is more in my kitchen.
    Thankyou,
    Madhuri.

Hello Madhuri,
    Thanks for trying out the recipe. Do let me know how it turns out.
    About milk, to know more about the milk preparation process in US, do a Google search on Milk and Hormones.
    - Indira

Comment by Madhuri.V — January 11, 2008 @ 5:36 am

24. Hi Indira

How r u? HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Thanks,these is awesome website.
    I started cooking 2months ago,i tried this recepie just now, its very tasty.I learned so many recepies from your website.

swathi

Comment by swathi — January 19, 2008 @ 8:39 am

25. Hi,
    kurma lo curd vesthaarani vinnanu…chaala daggarninchi… coastal area AP lo taste chesina anni restaurants lo kooda..so. eppudu ee curd veyali kurma vandetappudu?

Comment by sundari — September 21, 2008 @ 6:37 am

26. you know Indira, to me a kurma or korma is anything in a white sauce. That is the how it is in North India. But in southern states a kurma is tomato based. I strongly believe that no matter where the food comes from or in whichever way it is cooked, as long as it is good, it is worth it. Your recipe reminds me of how my mom cooks potato and nutri nuggets.

Good work!

Comment by manila — February 9, 2009 @ 10:56 am

27. Hi,

Today I tried potato kurma and as you told it’s yum with roti.

Thnak you
    Pallavi Mohan

Comment by Pallavi Mohan — June 1, 2009 @ 11:19 am

28. Hi Indira, Different type of potato kurma. I prepared it yesterday and it came out nice and tasty. Thanks for your recipe.

Comment by ANANDHI — August 31, 2009 @ 5:52 am

29. your kurma recipe is very good.i liked it.

Comment by vijaya laxmi — March 8, 2010 @ 2:45 am

30. hello: Back in 1979 and 1981, I used to eat puri - koorma at Kamath Hotel near Nampally station, Hyderabad. The taste was unique, and again I ate similarly tasting kurma in New Jersey-Saravana Bhavan. They guy refused to reveal the recipe. I am a veteran cook of traditional vaidiki preparations. Any help with this particular recipe is well appreciated.

thanks,

Comment by Bhaskar — May 19, 2010 @ 9:49 am

31. Indira, for Potato Korma I’ve added tofu to my New Year’s Day shopping list. Thanks for this one! Best Wishes, ~nyginko

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment by nyginko — January 2, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

32. Indira, question, please? Are the “soya chunks” and tofu one and the same? I don’t recall seeing “soya chunks” at the markets, although I do recall having seen something like reconstituted vegan proteins (RVP.) ~ nyginko

Hello nyginko: Soya chunks are dried soymash and they are available in Indian grocery shops under Nutrela brand. Check out this link for soy chunks.
    You could also add RVP to this curry.
    -Indira

Comment by nyginko — January 2, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

33. Dear Indira,

I love your blog. I have to read your blog every day :) Today I tried this potato kurma, and it came out wonderfully. My husband loved it!

Thank you so much for all the recipes you list. I am a huge fan! be it your awesome recipes or your wonderful garden :)

Comment by Vennella — June 25, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

34. Very good brief and this post helped me a lot. Say thank you I searching for your facts. Continuous it..

Comment by Hypnotism Specialist — May 8, 2018 @ 6:34 am

35. Thanks for sharing the informative information through the article. and all the details are good in this post

Comment by black magic specialist — May 8, 2018 @ 8:37 am

36. Ask Free Question With Vashikaran Specialist in Kolkata Call: +91 9915707766

Comment by Love Vashikaran — July 24, 2018 @ 9:04 am

37. love mitjiarriage specialist panditji

Comment by love marriage specialist — September 25, 2018 @ 12:12 pm

38. thank for giving such information

Comment by Vashikaran mantra — November 12, 2018 @ 5:33 am

39. now I am very happy because of it.

Comment by Ladki ko vash me karne ka jadu — November 12, 2018 @ 5:34 am

40. Dark enchantment Mantra spells are one of the intense and more grounded approaches to change things. Typical individuals has some wrong suspicion about the dark enchantment mantra like, it can impact and ruin the entire existence of the person in question and square the distance to their lives, all things considered, its rely upon the caster that, they are packaging for good reason or terrible reason

Comment by Remedies for black magic — November 20, 2018 @ 7:01 am

41. Spouse Vashikaran is an intense and antiquated way where we used to control somebody want individual by Vashikaran strategies. In the event that you need to control your husband or spouse, black magic for controlling husband is most well known and requesting administration in our general public. Presently you have an opportunity to do support your affection life since we have black magic for controlling husband benefit.

Comment by Ex back permanently — November 20, 2018 @ 7:02 am

42. Our administrations dependent on idea of sleep induction so on the off chance that you have smidgen information of black magic then you can control to your husband in a roundabout way with no physical powers. Black magic has numerous protocols to execute so you ought to know about it and on the off chance that you need to execute successfully then you can take help of specialists

Comment by I want to learn black magic — November 20, 2018 @ 7:03 am

43. Are you one of such spouses who is being tortured by their husband even physically and need to know is there any path by which you can control your husband or ways that can change your husband as a devoted and unwavering individual towards you. In the event that you are looking for answers to these then you are at opportune place as lost love vashikaran gives answers for all sort of relationship issues through effective methods for crystal gazing, black magic and vashikaran. Regardless of at that point if such issues exist in your adoration connections or in your marriage life. Our vashikaran and black magic master stargazer master ji is focused on tackling all human life issues through intense black magic and vashikaran spells rapidly

Comment by Can i learn black magic — November 20, 2018 @ 7:04 am

44. There are many problems of people which they can solve with vashikaran. Vashikaran will not take any much time to make life of a person free from worries. Thousands of people come to vashikaran specialist to get genuine solution of their problems.call now:-(+91-9876706621)

Comment by vashikaran specialist — December 20, 2018 @ 1:21 am

45. You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. Thank you for sharing.

Comment by bubble shooter — February 12, 2019 @ 8:58 pm

46. This blog is really nice. Thank you for sharing your blog … Good Luck! Keep it up.

Comment by Vashikaran Specialist in Kuwait — February 26, 2019 @ 3:21 am

47. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.

Comment by My Health Store — April 28, 2019 @ 5:24 am

48. I am glad you take pride in what you write. This makes you stand way out from many other writers that push poorly written content.

Comment by sporting ferret — November 12, 2019 @ 6:18 am

49. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.

Comment by Cancun area cenotes — November 12, 2019 @ 11:19 pm

50. Best Vashikaran Specialist in India, Vashikaran Specialist In India, offering effective Vashikaran solutions and services for Love, relationship, marriage, family, and husband-wife, who provide 100% vashikaran result in all vashikaran services Call to specialist 9899343854

Comment by vashikaran Specialist India` — December 23, 2019 @ 12:25 am

51. Movierulz 2019 Bollywood Movies Download online

Comment by Popular10 Updates — December 23, 2019 @ 12:27 am

52. Trade Wire Media is leading Digital Marketing & SEO Company in Delhi. Digital marketing offers SEO, SEM, Youtube Marketing, SMO Services, web Designing. Trade Wire Media Solution LLP is a leading SEO agency that provides high quality, results driven SEO services to companies in Delhi, India & worldwide.

Comment by Trade Wire Media Solution LLP — January 7, 2020 @ 12:07 am

53. Thanks for sharing this info. Love to read this page..!

Comment by watch online pinoy tv replays hd — January 17, 2020 @ 5:15 pm

54. i like it its very good , thanks for a such a great information

Comment by watch pinoy tambayan tv — January 23, 2020 @ 1:51 am

55. Looking at the round balls with bright colors you will see they are great. More amazing when you directly participate in this exciting bubble game.

Comment by Bubble Shooter — February 14, 2020 @ 11:50 pm

56. The solution to all kinds of love problems found by the best Vashikaran expert and Vashikaran Pandit in just 3 days. Contact today

Comment by Pk Sharma — February 22, 2020 @ 1:13 am

57. Vashikaran specialist in India Astrologer the excellent supply medicines the matrimonial love, Vashikaran, black magic, to find again its love life is Vashikaran etc. they can a man / woman can attract the life of the whole world, and the body will do as they say. for the help of the astrology Vashikaran can it find everything in the life as it can do with the marriage the willful lover (man/) can find the love of its life after losing its Vashikaran? Vashikaran specialist in India There are many types of Vashikaran like Vashikaran mohini, Vashikaran stri, Kamdev Vashikaran etc.,

Comment by Vashikaran Expert in India — February 26, 2020 @ 7:46 am

58. Are you here to find the best love marriage specialist? Come to our best love marriage specialist guru if you want to settle all the disputes that you are facing.

Comment by Mk Sharma — March 7, 2020 @ 12:46 am

59. Pandit Rk Swami Ji Is best astrologer In World Wave He solve Thousand Case World Wave He Service Providing World She contact This number +91-9780095453

Comment by Love marriage Specialist — March 30, 2020 @ 4:06 am

60. Shriv Commedia is the best Software Development Company Commedia has 21 years of experienced teams in Software development. It has delivered various many projects in the Internet of Things. Here is one of the best companies for Software Development Services is Shriv Com Media Solutions (SCMS), They already 2500 projects are done.

Comment by Software Development Company — April 4, 2020 @ 11:52 pm

61. Bubble Shooter is the best world-famous and entertaining online gaming web portal where you can play the favorite bubble games for free.

Comment by bubbleshort1 — April 7, 2020 @ 6:05 pm

62. It’s wonderful to be here with everyone, Nice publication. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Meilleure souris gaming razer — April 9, 2020 @ 2:07 am

63. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

Comment by ps5 release date — April 20, 2020 @ 4:23 am

64. Dream11 has revolutionized the entire concept of gaming by inculcating the leisure of customization. Having partnered with The Board of Control for Cricket in India, Dream11 is also the official partner for the VIVO Indian Premier League creating a new wave of popularity for the game. Join the fantasy bandwagon where you can enjoy virtual entertainment while earning money via Dream11 referral code.

Comment by Dream11 referral code — April 26, 2020 @ 3:01 am

65. Quranic Wazifa is an online website that provides dua, wazifa, amal and isitikhara for different problems in life.

Comment by Quranic Wazifa for Love — May 2, 2020 @ 12:50 am

66. Vashikaran prayog is an online place which provides vashikaran techniques for different problems in life. If you are looking for vashikaran specialist in india then you can contact our vashikaran specialist babaji. He provides a solution for love marriage and love back.

Comment by Vashikaran Prayog — May 2, 2020 @ 7:23 am

67. Quranic Dua is an online channel designed to give all the muslim spread worldwide some access of Holy Quranic prayers like Duas, Wazifa and Istikhara, Amal etc.

Comment by Quranic Dua — May 5, 2020 @ 11:37 pm

68. About Dr Vedant Sharmaa
    Dr Vedant Sharmaa is popularly referred to as the best Vedic astrologer in India. Dr Vedant Sharmaa provides hours of counselling to all her clients and encourages them to find out ways to cope up with their problems. Dr Vedant Sharmaa’s expertise is not limited to just Vedic astrology, He has mastered over the subjects like numerology, palmistry, and Vastu shastra too. He is one of the most preferred astrologers for Bollywood divas also.

Comment by Best Astrologer in India — June 5, 2020 @ 2:59 am

69. Well known Pandit Karan Sharma is Vashikaran Specialist Astrologer who gives master soothsaying administrations in world. He takes care of issues …

Comment by Pandit Karan Sharma — June 28, 2020 @ 2:12 am

70. Rohani Amal for Love is an Islamic community based Website Offering Islamic Prayers to people Like Wazifa, Muslim Spells, Dua and Amal To People Who are Suffering From Love Relationship Problems Like Lost Love, Husband Wife Marital Issues, Divorces Related Problems, Husband Misbehave, Angry Husband/Wife, Torturing In-Laws, Getting Ex-Husband/Ex-Wife Back etc. Our Wazifa Expert Molvi Ji is able to make instant effective amal, dua and wazifa spells to help human beings from their day to day issues.

Comment by Rohani Amal For Love — July 2, 2020 @ 11:42 pm

71. Dua is considered the best medium to connect through Allah and pledge him to shower his blessing on us. No matter whatever kind of trouble we are facing in our life either love break-up problem or love marriage issues you can always take help from holy Quranic verses and dua prayers. We at Qurani dua brings dua prayers for every kind of relationship problem one could face in his/her life. You just need to perform these Islamic duas with proper procedure and full faith on Almighty Allah.

Comment by Qurani Dua — July 3, 2020 @ 2:22 am

72. Love Problem Dua is an online portal developed to give solutions to such people who are facing love relationship problems. Our love problem dua expert astrologer is experienced enough in casting vashikaran spells, astrology love prayers, black magic removal, and islamic wazifa and duas prayers. if you want to get solution for your love and relationship matters, you can always consult with him anytime.

Comment by Love Problem Dua — July 4, 2020 @ 1:10 am

73. With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money.

Comment by dentist that does dental implants — July 15, 2020 @ 5:47 am

74. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore’s southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that.

Comment by best french casinos — July 15, 2020 @ 11:58 am

75. Thanks for sharing us.

Comment by Love Vashikaran Prayer — July 18, 2020 @ 5:50 am

76. When we talk about Vashikaran specialist tantra and mantra there are many things which matters and today a lot of people are facing different problems in their life. Nobody himself wants to get into troubles. It is all the planets which are responsible for various situations that occur in our life. Vashikaran is the best way to come out from the problems. There are many those who think that vashikaran is same as black magic.

Comment by Vashikaran Specialist — July 19, 2020 @ 1:15 pm

77. Vashikaran is used to have a control on the person whom the person loves or wants him back in life or want to marry that person. With the help of Vashikaran Mantra for Love a person can get control over the affected person and he can get him do the task which is required by him.

Comment by Vashikaran specialist in delhi — July 20, 2020 @ 5:18 am

78. Good work. Keep it up

Comment by Love Vashikaran Siddhi — July 20, 2020 @ 6:35 am

79. Very Good Post. Keep up

Comment by Astrologer Vidya — July 22, 2020 @ 5:59 am

80. Vashikaran for Husband wife Though his vashikaran services are hugely popular for solving problems in all spheres of life in Bangalore and other cities of India and the world,Online Love Solution Astrologer these for tackling love problems have acquired immense prominence, and consequently, he is now rather distinguished as a best and leading love vashikaran specialist in bangalore and other parts of the world Vashikaran Specialist Tantrik

Comment by Astroshivnath — July 30, 2020 @ 12:21 am

81. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!

Comment by temporary fencing rental — August 13, 2020 @ 1:07 am

(required)

(required but not published)