Flavors of Life ~ Cakes n Bakes

‘Cakes n Bakes’ ~ Illustration by Sree
Graphite on paper, 8″x12″

I bake quite a bit and I like the home baked cakes more than the fancy, ornately iced ones from the store. My cakes almost always come out well except for the usual ‘old baking’ powder/ ‘old flour’ disasters. For ages I have followed this recipe given by my mother’s oldest friend, simply whisked all the ingredients (very important that they are all fresh and at room temperature) together for a while and baked it till the delicious aroma of a golden brown cake wafted through the entire house.:) My mom always adds a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of honey as well, she says it makes the cake moist and tastier.

~ by Sree

More from Sree ~ Click here

Posted by Indira©Copyrighted in Sree (Saturday May 17, 2008 at 10:20 am- permalink)

12 comments for Flavors of Life ~ Cakes n Bakes »

1. The “Mahanandi Bug” has caught you as well Sree! You have started writing recipes along with drawings :-) Thanks for both. I too like home made cakes, with some exceptions being cakes from Variyar Bakery and Old Bangalore Iyengar bakery.

Comment by Vidhya — May 17, 2008 @ 11:15 am

2. That’s a beautiful picture. I wish I could draw like you!

Comment by Uma — May 17, 2008 @ 11:23 am

3. Nice picture!
    I am envious…I am a very bad baker. All the “improv. skills” that serve me well as a savory cook seem to lead to disaster when baking. And I didn’t grow up eating sweets really, so I have no gut instinct for these things. But I happily avail myself of friends who have these skills!

Comment by Diane — May 17, 2008 @ 5:06 pm

4. Good one from Sree as always

Comment by DK — May 17, 2008 @ 10:57 pm

5. Hi Sree,
    can you please tell how much quantity of milk I need to add for the cake?
    sowmya

Comment by sowmya — May 18, 2008 @ 11:52 am

6. Nice pic Sree..:)

Siri

Comment by Siri — May 18, 2008 @ 6:10 pm

7. This is like the perfect poster I would like to put up in my kitchen. It not only looks classy but also stores information.

You must hold an exhibition of your sketches , Sree. I would love to come and see all your art at one go.

Comment by Roma — May 18, 2008 @ 8:48 pm

8. dear indiragaru,
    thank you for the wonderful recipe, but can you mention the quantity of milk for the recipe.
    thanks.

Comment by vani — May 18, 2008 @ 9:28 pm

9. Very nice picture Sree!

Comment by Nirmala — May 18, 2008 @ 10:53 pm

10. Great picture!

Comment by brozy — May 19, 2008 @ 1:25 pm

11. Hi everyone, Sorry for a late response, and thank you for the comments:)

Vidhya:) Yes the bug has caught me too! And I totally agree, the Variyar cakes are the closest to home baked ones.

Uma, DK, Siri, Roma, Nirmala, Brozy : Thanks!

Diane: Just keep trying!

Soumya, Vani: Regarding the milk, use enough (say about 1/2 cup or as required) to get the right consistency for the batter.

Comment by Sree — May 26, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

12. Hi Indira, thanks for your delicious recipes!! I love your writing style and the tempting photos! Hey I am planning to make the cake by your recipe. I had a doubt which floor do you use here?? thanks in advance!

Comment by Smita — February 25, 2009 @ 3:54 am