Sanagalu (Kala Chana, Black Chickpeas)

One Chickpea (Chana, Choleye, Sanaga) ~ Different Forms
For This Week’s Indian Kitchen

Green fresh chana - Shelled from pods (and available frozen in Indian grocery shops).

Black chickpeas (Kala Chana) - Result of green chana dried under the sun.

Chana Dal (Bengal Gram, Sanaga Pappu) - Prepared by splitting the black chickpeas and removing the brownish-black outer skins.

Roasted Chana Dal (Dalia, Pappulu) - Prepared by roasting black chickpeas in special kilns and then splitting and removing the brownish-black outer skins.

double_curve.gif

Contributions From Fellow Bloggers For Indian Kitchen Series

Kavvam (Buttermilk Churner)
Kavvam (Buttermilk Churner) ~ To “Cool Those Summers”, from Yadbhavishya

Boondhi Maker
Boondhi Strainers and Makers ~ To Prepare Boondhi Laddu, from Foodnewbie

Thanks Vidyanath and Sudha for sending me these photos for Indian Kitchen series.

Posted by Indira©Copyrighted in Chana Dal, Indian Ingredients, Indian Kitchen, Indian Utensils, Chana Dal-Roasted (Dalia), Chickpeas-Black (Sunday July 23, 2006 at 3:08 pm- permalink)

6 comments for Sanagalu (Kala Chana, Black Chickpeas) »

1. I have never seen the green fresh channa Indira,thanks for posting!

Comment by Sumitha — July 23, 2006 @ 4:46 pm

2. I have been trying to locate a churner such as the pictured above in Indian stores in the US to no avail. I might have to ask somebody to bring one back for me.

love the photos on your blog: they make me so hungry!

Comment by Shoshauna — July 26, 2006 @ 1:27 am

3. I love when you photograph the tools along with the process (and the finished dish, of course). Thank you!

Comment by beth — July 26, 2006 @ 4:50 pm

4. […] All you need Bhoondis Gram flour - 1.5 cup rice flour/corn flour - 1 tbsp Soda Bicarbonate - 1/8 tsp Bhoondi stirer and fryer you can find it here Oil for deep frying […]

Pingback by ಬೂಂದಿ ಲಾಡು/Bhoondi Laddu « My Chow Chow Bhath — October 21, 2007 @ 9:08 am

5. Do you happen to know where I can get a boondhi strainer or something similar in the US?

I have the smaller ladle with holes, but I need the bigger one to strain the batter to make boondhi.

Comment by Arthi — September 25, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

6. I have a doubt, in the process that you have mentioned of the different dals, where does garbanzo beans come? I mean- are garbanzo beans made by skinning black chickpeas? and then when these are split we get bengal gram?
    Please clear my confusion.
    Thanks.